Example Letter #1
I am pleased to accept your invitation to speak to the Finlandia Foundation in Springfield. I am honored that you would think of me.
You mentioned two possible topics, the Winter War of 1939 or the Civil War of 1917. I think a discussion of the Winter War would be most appropriate since two recent movies have depicted that period of Finnish history in contradictory ways.
My wife and I will drive to Springfield on December 4 to visit with colleagues at the university before the Foundation's meeting at 7:00 p.m. on December 5. We will be at the Doe Hall by 6:30 that evening. Other than a microphone, I will only need an overhead projector to show some data. However, it would be helpful to know how informed the audience will be on the topic, and whether there will be many Finns with family experiences from that time?
Thank you for your offer of hotel accommodations, but we have family members in Springfield who we haven't seen for some time. They have offered to put us up for a few days. Again, thank you for the invitation to speak. I look forward to meeting with the Foundation.
Example Letter #2
I am happy to accept your invitation to speak at your conference on Tuesday, May 16 at 10:00 p.m. at the Doe Center in Springfield.
For my presentation, I will need a television, a VCR, an overhead projector, a chalk board, and a podium with a microphone. Also, I hope you can send me some information on my audience's general educational background and professional experience, so I can put together the appropriate technical material.
I am presently making travel arrangements and tentatively plan to arrive on Monday, May 15. You can expect my call sometime next week to confirm my travel itinerary and to make arrangements for reimbursement. I look forward to the conference.
Example Letter #3
I simply cannot pass up your exciting invitation to speak at this year's Women's Conference. As you suggested in your letter, I will meet you in the conference hall on Monday, May 9 at 1:00 p.m.
My enthusiasm for the subject of psychological well-being continues to grow. I plan to discuss some steps women can take to increase their self-esteem and which character traits they should look for in a prospective spouse to increase the possibility of having a fulfilling relationship. Since I plan to use overhead transparencies and a video segment in my presentation, I would appreciate it if you could provide me with an overhead projector, a VCR, and a large-screen television monitor.
I appreciate this opportunity and gratefully accept your generous offer of a $500 honorarium.
Example Letter #4
I accept with pleasure your invitation to speak at the Springfield Conference on Friday, May 2, at 3:00 p.m. The title of my discussion will be "User Interface Advancements," and I will limit my comments to twenty minutes. My needs are modest, but I would appreciate a parking voucher and a tall glass of water. Thank you for your kind invitation. I look forward to a brisk exchange of ideas at the conference.
Example Letter #5
Thank you for inviting me to be your keynote speaker at the Springfield Literature Club on May 17, at 7:30 p.m. I understand that your group will meet at the Springfield Hotel on Main Street.
For my presentation, I will require a slide projector and screen, a microphone, and a bar stool, since my back condition forces me to sit. According to my information, your members are first-time readers of Animal Farm, so I will discuss the author's background, the setting of the book, and its thematic interpretations. Please let me know if this is agreeable. My fee is $350. I look forward to the meeting.
Write Your Letter Step-by-Step
1 Express your pleasure in accepting the invitation. Restate the date, time, and location, if necessary.
Sample Sentences for Step 1
- I accept your kind invitation to speak to the graduating class.
- I am delighted to accept your invitation to address the graduates.
- I am pleased to accept your invitation to sing at the Service.
- We were pleased to receive your invitation to play a duet at the meeting and will be honored to do so.
- We are happy to accept your invitation to dance at half time.
- My husband and I will be delighted to accept your invitation to speak to the youth in your congregation.
- We are pleased and honored that you would invite us to be part of commencement service and gratefully accept the invitation.
- I am flattered that you have asked me to sing at your wedding. I accept.
- I am honored to accept your invitation to be one of the judges.
- I shall be happy to provide two musical numbers.
- I was pleased to receive your letter asking me to be one of the speakers at the reunion. I will be happy to do so.
- Thanks for asking me to join your performance. Of course I will.
- Thank you for asking me to play a piano solo at the evening service. I accept with pleasure.
- Thank you for your invitation. It will be my pleasure to present my art work in the museum.
- I am honored to accept your invitation to speak at the Doe employee training seminar next Tuesday at 3:00 p.m. I understand we will meet in the conference room.
- I am happy to accept your invitation to address the membership of the Doe society at your weekly meeting next Monday at 7:00 p.m.
- I gladly accept your invitation to deliver the keynote address for Doe University commencement exercises.
Sample Phrases for Step 1
- accept with pleasure
- am pleased and honored to
- am flattered that you asked
- am delighted to accept your
- am honored to accept your invitation to speak
- am always happy to
- am honored to accept your
- appreciate the opportunity to share
- at this year's conference
- consider it an honor to
- delighted to accept
- deliver the keynote address
- for the invitation to speak
- gladly accept your invitation to
- gratefully accept the opportunity to speak
- happy to accept your
- is always a pleasure to
- look forward with anticipation
- pleased to accept
- pleased to accept your
- shall be happy to
- thank you for asking
- thank you for your gracious invitation
- thank you for thinking of me
- to participate in
- to share the highlights of
- was delighted to receive your
- will be a pleasure to
- would be happy to accept your invitation
- would genuinely enjoy
- would be honored to be a guest speaker
- your kind invitation to
- your invitation to address
- your letter asking me to
2 Confirm other specific details, including needs for special equipment.
Sample Sentences for Step 2
- I understand that I will be speaking in the Red Top Pavilion on Tuesday, July 4, at 7:30 p.m. It will be a new experience for me to perform in your hall on the evening of April 2.
- The 6:00 a.m. service at the cemetery on Memorial Day will be very appropriate.
- I appreciate your scheduling my part on the commencement program for 6:00 p.m. in the auditorium.
- In addition to a microphone, I will need an overhead projector.
- Since my presentation uses multimedia, I will need three projectors.
- Because the audience will be so large, could you arrange for additional TV monitors?
- I will bring my own instruments, but will need the services of a sound technician.
- I will need four assistants to hand out materials.
- To enhance our interaction, could you arrange the seating in a circle?
- The audience should be seated in groups of eight for problem solving exercises.
- I wonder if you would supply the room where I will be speaking with a podium, a chalkboard, some chalk, and an eraser?
- I will need an assistant to distribute handouts.
- I will use several visual aids during the presentation and will need an easel to rest them on.
- I do not wish to appear too technical for those who do not understand the subject very well or too patronizing toward those who are very secure with the topic. Therefore, I would like to know the educational background of the audience. Could you please let me know at your earliest convenience?
- I will use the following materials in my speech: a VCR, a television, an overhead projector, and a podium. Will you please supply these items for me?
- I would like to have the new portrait of Mr. Doe on the wall just above my head as I speak about his exemplary life.
Sample Phrases for Step 2
- am sending a FAX with detailed information
- wonder if you would supply
- availability of parking
- because of time constraints
- chalkboard will be sufficient
- could you arrange for
- do not wish to appear too technical
- do not wish to appear patronizing
- during the presentation
- have the seats arranged accordingly
- inform me as soon as possible
- it would be helpful
- need directions to
- need a VCR setup
- please arrange the seats in
- scheduling my presentation
- since my presentation will be
- size of the audience
- the educational background of the audience
- the small room where I will speak
- to enhance the experience for
- will need someone to distribute handouts
- will need an overhead projector
- will use quite a few visual aids
- will bring my own
- will be speaking in
- will utilize the following materials
- will need assistance with
- will require a
- would like to have recording equipment available
- would appreciate it if you could provide
- would appreciate your assistance with
- would be helpful to have a
3 Inquire about the makeup, interests, and attitudes of the audience.
Sample Sentences for Step 3
- It would be helpful to know how familiar the audience is with tax laws.
- What experience has your group had with wilderness hiking?
- Has your class had other speakers on this subject?
- Has your organization been involved in helping the homeless?
- Are there particularly sensitive areas I should avoid, or at least be aware of?
- Will the group have read my previous work on this topic?
- Has the audience had other vocal performers this year?
- What are the major athletic interests of the group?
- What is the general attitude of the audience toward federal controls?
Sample Phrases for Step 3
- anything I should be aware of
- are they acquainted with
- audience's familiarity with
- background of the audience
- demographics of the group
- fill me in on
- general attitude towards
- give me pointers concerning
- group's experience with
- interests they have in common
- major interests of
- other speakers' topics
- particularly want me to cover
- preferences regarding
- previous exposure to
- previously been involved with
- topics already covered
- warn me of any sensitive topics
- what experience have they had with
- would be helpful to know
4 If appropriate, discuss your fee.
Sample Sentences for Step 4
- I usually charge $300.
- I appreciate your offer of a $300 honorarium plus travel expenses.
- I would normally charge $500 to speak to an audience this large; however, since it is for charity, I will expect only the cost of my transportation and overnight accommodations.
- My fee for an audience of this size and for a one-hour presentation is $600.
- I need to know whether you will offer an honorarium.
- I would like to arrange a meeting to determine my fee for this appearance.
- Since you have asked me to speak for an additional amount of time, I will need to adjust my fee accordingly.
Sample Phrases for Step 4
- for speaking to an audience this large
- for a one hour presentation
- my fee for an audience of this size
- since you have asked me to speak for an additional
- since it is for charity
- to determine my fee for this appearance
- usually charge
- will only charge
- will need to adjust my fee accordingly
- would like to arrange a meeting
- would normally charge
5 Confirm travel details such as itinerary or housing arrangements.
Sample Sentences for Step 5
- I plan to arrive by car late Thursday evening.
- I will arrive at 3:35 p.m. on Delta flight 245 from Springfield.
- Thank you for offering to meet me at the D concourse at 7:30 p.m.
- I will drive to Springfield and stay at the Doe Inn.
- Two of my children will accompany me.
- Could you please make a reservation for me at the Doe Inn?
- I will purchase my tickets here and give you my receipts for reimbursement.
- Thank you for offering to pay my travel expenses.
- I sincerely appreciate the honorarium.
- My return flight departs at 8:00 p.m. on Saturday.
Sample Phrases for Step 5
- accept your kind offer
- appreciate the honorarium
- make my own reservations
- make my own arrangements
- my flight number is
- plan to arrive on
- plan to drive myself
- plan to stay at
- please make a reservation for me at
- return flight will depart
- thank you for offering
- to provide accommodation
- to pay my travel expenses
- to meet me at the
- will give you my receipts
- will accompany me
- will purchase my own
- will stay at
- will be driving to
- will arrive at
6 Express your expectations for the event.
Sample Sentences for Step 6
- I look forward to being a part of the program.
- I hope my contribution will add to your program.
- I will do my best to help your organization in its efforts to raise funds.
- I hope my performance will add to the pleasant evening.
- I am delighted to help further the aims of the church.
- It sounds as if it will be a delightful evening.
- Thank you for thinking of me.
- It sounds like it will be a very worthwhile meeting.
Sample Phrases for Step 6
- am happy to do what I can to help
- an enjoyable weekend
- being a part of your
- delighted to help
- delighted to be of assistance
- for the invitation
- for this opportunity
- for asking me to address your committee
- help your organization
- hope to meet your expectations
- hope to confirm the details
- hope my contribution will
- hope my performance will
- in its efforts to
- in the near future
- it will be a most
- it sounds as if
- look forward to speaking to your group
- meeting the members of your group
- memorable occasion
- participating in your
- pleasant evening
- sincerely appreciate your interest in my
- thank you very much
- thanks again for your kind invitation
- very happy to be able to
- want to thank you for inviting me
- will do my best to
- wish to express my gratitude
- worthwhile event